5 Responses

1. nlennon
    nlennon
    March 22, 2010 at 6:55 pm |

Hi Nick,

Like the map. Do you mind if I use it in a talk?

thanks
    Niall

2. nlennon
    nlennon
    March 22, 2010 at 9:54 pm |

Will do, many thanks.

3. Marco
    Marco
    April 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm |

Hi Nick,
    I work with a 454 and I am wondering if anyone has ever tought of the fact that 454 sells less machines thant Illumina also because for a sequencing run you just need 8-10 hrs instead of a week or more with the GAII or SOLiD?
    454 is obviously not in direct competition w the other 2 sequencers because they have specific niches (de-novo vs resequencing)at least regarding sequencing DNA.
    What I wanna say is that everybody think Illumina is the best just because it sells more, but even if I am going to buy an HiSeq2000 myself in the near future, I think that it sells more basicly because the machine take too long to do its job. If the GA or HiSeq d have the same run time of a 454 run, then maybe we could really compare the quality of a technology vs the other one.
    In our lab the 454 is sitting there for the most of the time simply because it takes much more to prepare the libraries etc than the actual run, so there is no need to by more than one unless you have enough people in the wet lab to produce an enourmous amount of libraries ready for sequencing all the time. WIth Illumina the problem is the opposite: it takes much more to perform the run than to prepare the DNA for sequencing, so the machines are busy all the time, and if you have enough to sequence you will obviously need to buy more GAs…

4. Biome | $1,000 genome
    February 25, 2014 at 4:38 pm |

[…] dominance (such as this one), and in 2010 Nick’s Omicsmaps survey revealed an estimated 60 percent market share for Illumina. A GenomeWeb survey in 2013 revealed this had grown to 71 percent; in the same […]